BY DANIELLE EARLE
THIRST 2018 is just around the corner, and we are all very excited! This is the one of the best weekends of the year where we can hang out, chill out, catch up and get caught up in the things of God together!
Trinity Central has grown a lot over the last year and we have many people joining us for their first Thirst, so I asked some friends for tips for you to get the most out of the weekend.
Top 10 Tips
- Bring some kitchen supplies. The main cabins have fridges and kettles (the guys/girls cabins do have fridges but do not have a kettle, so come on over to the main cabins and come have some tea with us!) – why not bring along your favourite coffee mug and some tea/coffee/sugar/creamer and snacks to enjoy early in the mornings or when you have some down time. Don’t forget to bring along some dishwashing liquid and dish towels so your crockery and cutlery don’t get funky! There is also a canteen with chilled water, so bring along a water bottle so you can stay hydrated throughout the day.
- Plan for Friday night dinner. Food is not provided on the Friday night – why not bring along some food to share so you can hang out with other people/families and get to know some people?
- Ear plugs!
- If you have kids, bring along some low energy activities they can do when they are feeling overwhelmed or over stimulated. Colouring books, puzzles, or even an ipad with some pre-downloaded audio books/spotify playlists/movies (there is no wifi!) are all great ideas.
- If you have young kids, make use of your tribe! There is no pressure on you to do it all and to do it all alone. You will be put in cabins with other parents, so tag team babysitting at night, watching kids at the park etc. Get each other’s numbers early on, and work together to ease the load. The kids will have fun and will be busy, but if we work together, we ALL will. Also be aware that there are families with older kids who also need their tribe – hang out with them and get to know them, they are really cool!
- Come expectant!
- Know who you are and be comfortable in the way God made you – you are accepted just the way you are by God and by us! Many of us are insecure about our friendships (or the perceived lack of them). Know that you are a precious and beloved gift of God to His body – you are a GIFT to us! There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ, so put on the weapons of your warfare and fight hard against the enemy who will try and sow doubt/fear/anxiety/lies/division to rob you of your inheritance in God.
- Know your limits. Make sure you take time aside to be still and refreshed – the waterfront is a peaceful spot to breathe in some fresh air and process what God is saying to you or doing in you.
- Try and keep this week leading up to Thirst uncluttered. Try not to get too busy, and try to make time for rest. Thirst is awesome and there’s a lot going on, so make sure you are giving yourself a bit of a backlog of rest and energy so you can get the most out of this weekend and really thrive.
Bonus tip from a four year old:
Have fun with Jesus and eat ice cream.
Favourite. Tip. Ever.
God is all about fun! I think sometimes we get so caught up in the serious things of God (which are of course good, true and really important), that we forget that God is fun, full of adventure and to be enjoyed! In His commissioning, in His refining, in His work in and through us, one of His ultimate goals is that we would know Him and enjoy Him as we live out the lives He has called us to. I imagine that when God created the world, and when He created you, He had a big smile on His face, and a laugh in His heart, don’t you?
You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
**Don’t forget to hashtag your photos on social media #Thirst2018